What is Truffle Allergy and How to Manage It
There are all kinds of things that can rigger allergic reactions, but nothing is worse than having to suffer from allergy after consuming a delicious dish.
Unfortunately, like it or not, millions of people all over the world suffer from different food allergies. Some cannot tolerate dairy products, while others cannot stand legumes, and everything in between.
However, we are not going to talk about any common food allergy here. What we are going to talk about today is something rare, called truffle allergy.
What is truffle?
If you are like most people, you probably do not even know that something called ‘truffle’ even exists! Well, truffle is a kind of mushroom that grows on trees. It is used as an ingredient in a variety of Chinese, Spanish, French, Greek and Italian cuisines. Especially, fancy restaurants rely on this ingredient heavily due to its ability to impart a very unique flavor, eliminating the need for adding a lot of other ingredients. Truffle is added to some manufactured food products, as well, especially to chocolates.
Do you have truffle allergy?
Without obtaining proper assessment from a doctor, it is hard to conclude if you have truffle allergy, or not. That is because truffle is used in many different food items, and if you get allergy it is hard to know which food really triggered it. Still, if you get allergy after eating a candy bar or some other food item where truffle is an obvious addition, you can conclude quite reliably that you suffer from truffle allergy.
Symptoms of truffle allergy
Truffle allergy symptoms are not too different from symptoms caused by other food allergies. Skin itchiness is one of the common symptoms, and the same can be said about skin redness. Stomach pain, numbness, and occurrence of warm discomforting blemishes are other popular symptoms. Although many people can tolerate truffle allergy to a certain extent, a small percentage may find even breathing difficult. To what extent a person can tolerate the condition depends on his, or her, overall sensitivity level.
Managing the allergy
Managing truffle allergy is not the easiest task on earth. Simply put, the job can be quite tricky. Still, it is a good idea to try to avoid consuming anything that possibly contains the ingredient. If you cannot do without eating something that contains truffle, some drugs or histamines may be able to help you cope with your allergic reaction after eating the same.
Although not always, in rare cases exposure to truffle can be dangerous. So, if things go out of hand, be sure to consult a doctor.